August 31, 2011

Fetish Or Feat?



A while ago, Dr ZVLV of Shelflife put The Ordinary Girl onto this thing called Shriiimping. Yes, with 3 i's. To cut a long story short, it's graffiti on women's naked/near naked bodies. Now I would consider myself a lot of things, conservative is not one of them. But put simply: I just don't get it. It's actually baffling to me that there are girls who allow men to do this to their bodies. But that may just be me. Some would just call it art while others may say it is littered with messages of misogyny. I'm interested to know what you think.



Oh, and how the designing half of Shelflife and I got to that point is because of their collaboration with Puma (a first in the country) which launched WORLDWIDE on 8/8/11. Even Colette in Paris had the limited Puma x Shelflife stock. After chatting Dr ZVLV up, I wrote a really long (and what I thought was a dope) article on these Metrorail-inspired Puma Suedes which were dubbed the Train Runner as well as the ladies version of the joints, which go under the Laces and Ladies moniker. But the J-O shelved it because it mentioned a brand name more than once. And by now, you've all seen the pictures all over the 'nets so I won't bother.

If you missed the launch party you can still check out what went down HERE.



Now as you can see, the logo of the L&L's is a silhouette of a woman - we dig that. But some of the detailing on the sneakers (which come in mids and lows) and in the ladies range is inspired by Shriiimping. It's not as in your face on the kicks, but as a movement, Shriiimping refuses to be ignored. Are you paying attention yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment