November 18, 2011

Post-Black and Post-Racial



The Ordinary Girl likes Toure a lot. But over the years, there are two things that continue to baffle yet impress (I don't know how that works, either) me. One is the fact that he has a wife - I won't go into more detail. And the other is that he has managed to make a name for himself with just one name to go by. Like Prince. Or Madonna. That's cool. But what some people are saying isn't cool, is Toure's new book, Who's Afraid Of Post-Blackness: What It Means to Be Black Now. I hope to read it soon but I haven't yet so I can't speak on it. However, there have been talks about these buzz phrases; "post-black" and "post-racial." In the video below, Toure, my Amanda Seales and Baratunde Thurston speak on the two and their differences. What do you make of all of this?

#NBIF11: What's the Difference Between "Post-Racial" & "Post-Black"? from Boldaslove Magazine on Vimeo.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really keen to get my hands on his book.

    He was interviewed on WNYC's Soundcheck a week or so ago where he was talking about his book and 'post-blackness' with relation to hip hop and music in general.

    Worth a listen.

    ReplyDelete