May 26, 2011

Schooled On Siya



This has been one interesting month for The Ordinary Girl. If you know her then you'll know that not only does her favourite rapper wear a skirt (that's word to Eternia), but her top 5 emcees are women too. So with that in mind, I always feel like there's always an emcee I don't know about. That's why I support The Fembassy 100%. As is their tradition, Tuesday is Tell A Friend Day over at The Fembassy and on that day you have to tweet, talk or whatever about your favourite female emcee.

Some of the twitter la familia had some pretty interesting answers on this one particular Tuesday and our girl Nonku said her favourite is Siya (pronounced Sigh-Yah). I made a mental note to check this lady out as I'd never heard of her but soon forgot. As Dude likes to say: blame the head, not the heart. So then I was doing my usual soundcloud stalking and came across this Nonku snippet:

Smoke drank snipett by nunulooloo

So I played it and played it. And played it some more. Then I remembered Nonku's comment about Siya and I went looking for her. Et voila, pure heat! I came across this dope joint and it took me all of two seconds to realise Nonku's snippet was actually a cover of a Siya song of the same name. So then I played this video:



And played it. And played it til I got paranoid that colleagues were calling my name. So I played it a few more times then came across an incredibly well shot visual for I'm Gone, Siya's single off her mixtape, Elevator Dreams. I was a little disheartened when she brandished a gun early on in the video - who can judge another person's reality, I resolved - and then I was pleasantly surprised when I realised the gun was actually a part of the plot. I won't spoil it for you, here's the I'm Gone video:



Then I kept seeing all these video titles with Rocksmith in them. So I BBM-ed Dude and asked if Rocksmith wasn't the clothing label that he's been telling me about for aeons. Seriously, Dude believes in the brand so much he stopped short of literally shoving the Mac Book down my throat. But anyway, Dude was like yeah and he's stoked that Rocksmith is finally blowing up like it should.

The point of all of this is that Rocksmith officially endorses Siya and that's why you see her in the B-ball jerseys and other dope items. Real recognise real and this Brooklynite who now lives in Atlanta put it best when she said: "See I just landed an endorsement, big up to Rocksmith they got a bitch feeling important." And she's important to me too now, shout out to everything and everyone for aligning to school a sista on Siya. Check out more dopeness below:

No comments:

Post a Comment