July 14, 2010

Oh You Fancy Huh?



No, we're not referring to Drake's tweeze game. But if you guessed that this has something to do with Drizzy Rogers' song then you get free jelly beans! Yay! Collect in the comments section. Ahem. Anyway, after Dude got the Thank Me Later album, it's safe to say there are some Drake songs that The Ordinary Girl would be just fine with never hearing in her life again.

Fancy is one of them. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Drake and it kind of tickles me that I would've never pegged The Nut (hey! It's a term of endearment, don't judge me) for a Drake-lover. And we've been friends longer than anyone else who stomachs me. Anywho...

This Fancy ditty came up while I was chatting to said friend about the "pretty girl privilege." In it Drake raps - at least he doesn't sing it, phew!:

Hit the gym step on the scales stare at the number/You say you dropping 10 pounds preparing for summer/And you don't do it for the man, men never notice/You just do it for yourself you're the fucking coldest/Intelligent too ooh you're my sweetheart/I've always liked my women book and street smart

Forget the song for a moment, this gem is what I wanted you all to read.

The Nut: Mmmkay... So the issue [with the girl who complains about pretty girl privilege] is she wants to be acknowledged past her exterior, and let her behavior owe nothing to the liberties her looks afford her? Boo-fucken-hooo.... Jokes.
I just think the problem my not be her looks, but the people she surrounds herself with and is attracted to (though likely not to admit, but also based on their looks) who make how people look a determining factor. I've really never heard of such? At least not to the extent where it's a pronounced and threatening complex for someone. You're pretty and its a problem? The examples of the guys she mentioned sound shallow or easily intimidated by the idea of the 3-in-1 combo - pretty, smart and witty. Their problem. And something they should address. Why should she fuel such a shallow perception, while all the while, she won't refuse the perks that come with it, that's for sure... I just think the beauty-queen-complex is a sad and unnecessary problem, because yes, as much as society easily prefers certain looks over others, there are also people who demand more from people. And what of the most gorgeous of people who as soon as they open their mouths, the gates of the horrid underworld are opened?

My girl got smarts right? Sorry fellas, she's too intelligent - and er, fancy - for ya'll.

Here is the Drake tune if you're not familiar with it

No comments:

Post a Comment