September 11, 2012

Read This


My friend's are the illest. For my birthday this year, the Nut to my Raisin and a Fig by definition (inside reference, sorry) bought me Martha Cooper's The Hip Hop Files: Photographs 1979-1984. As you may be aware if you are a regular reader of theblagg and/or share our interests, Martha Cooper is a force to be reckoned with.

Not only has she and her camera been at the forefront of documenting graffiti and other elements of the culture while they were in their infancy but she's also published quite a few books that are the result of her access to the New York scene and beyond. This lady's images have provided plenty a screensaver (back when people had those) for Dude and now she's in South Africa.

Following the I ART WOODSTOCK (in Cape Town) and I ART Soweto initiatives that hooked South African artists up with a platform to paint large scale murals comes I ART JOBURG. This go-around, six artists from various parts of the world - including our very own graff guru, Falko and fine artist, Cameron Platter - will get to paint on buildings in the Maboneng Precinct before the end of September.

Who better than Martha Cooper to document the whole process? These photographic finds will culminate in an exhibition of I ART JOBURG, by Cooper, that will be shown in Joburg in October before it travels to Cape Town. Those of you who are attending STR.CRD (which will be in the same vicinity) can enjoy the free I ART JOBURG Talks at the street culture event. In the meantime, definitely read this:

No comments:

Post a Comment