August 5, 2012

Read This


I would salivate over this biography (written with D Michael Cheers) when it still sat on my brother's desk, begging me to read it. My brother was still busy with it so I couldn't grab it from him. It's called Readers Courtesy...or something.  I think he'd received Still Grazing: The Musical Journey Of Hugh Masekela from a ladyfriend. I can't quite remember. What I do remember is that he ran through these pages like Dude and I used to run through 2 litre Coca-Cola bottles back when we still drank it. See, Mikko? I did quit the stuff.

Ok, back to Ntate Hugh. Back in those days, my brother wasn't much of a reader. He had a bedroom recording studio where all his friends could stink up his room, what did he need to read for? I'm only teasing. Once he allowed me to get his hands on his copy, the book and I were inseparable. Something in me shifted. I was already a massive fan of the jazz icon and I'd still pay good money to watch him live, any day.


But, you know how they say you should never meet your idols? This was kind of like that, but in a good way. It's like meeting your idol, finding out he's a fcuk-up but loving him anyway because he was able to find a place to be ok with who he is "when he's alone, naked and in the dark" (as a friend once said) and still reveal all of that work-in-progress-ness to us.

For someone who is so revered, I don't see how that's ever easy. We're not talking about El Debarge being honest about his drug use here. We're talking about a man who received a birthday card from an incarcerated Nelson Mandela. Surely, he didn't owe the readers an explanation. But he showed us his building blocks anyway. So if you've ever wondered just how one survives exile, how volatile Mirriam Makeba really was and who Hugh Masekela is, then pick this book up.

Also, last month, the Encounters Film Festival screened ALEKESAM, a documentary about the relationship between Hugh Masekela and his son, Sal, as the latter embarks on a musical journey of his own. Try to see it wherever you can. Here's the trailer:

1 comment:

  1. : ) I am glad you ditched that toxic sugar waste by the corporation that supports the who is who of the hateful regimes, but I digress.

    This is such a wonderfull and wonderfully important book. He's giving this account of politics that holds nothing back. Artists don't have to be diplomatic - that's what is so great about them. This book also gives a some kind of insight to the social issues of Liberia; this again is something that many politicians rather not voice. So yeah. It's pretty excellent book so definite +1 from me.

    ReplyDelete